Parvathi Kota, Ph.D. is a Partner with Parlatore Law Group, focusing on intellectual property and patent law, with an extensive background in science. Dr. Kota’s practice focuses on intellectual property transactions and licensing, patent portfolio management, preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, opinion work, due diligence, inter partes review, patent litigation, and trademarks.
Dr. Kota has more than fifteen years of research experience in biochemistry, molecular biology, genetic engineering, enzymology, protein chemistry, and biotechnology. She worked as a research scientist in the laboratory of Nobel Laureate Professor Har Gobind Khorana at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she studied structure-function relationships in rhodopsin. Dr. Kota’s postdoctoral work with Dr. Richard Dixon focused on the genetic modification of lignin biosynthesis in alfalfa. She identified new substrates for key enzymes in the lignin biosynthesis and proposed a new pathway for alfalfa. Dr. Kota’s doctoral dissertation focused on the purification and regulation of photosynthetic enzymes.
Additionally, Dr. Kota has published several articles in peer-reviewed science journals. She has been invited to present her research at several national and international scientific meetings and has also served as a reviewer for the U.S. Department of Agriculture grant applications and for scientific journals. She received several awards for her academic excellence. While at MIT, Dr. Kota taught an advanced undergraduate seminar course on G-protein coupled receptors.
With her experience in both scientific as well as legal fields, Dr. Kota can understand complex scientific inventions and intricate legal issues and provide strategic counseling to her clients. She is thorough, consistent, patient, and professional, giving each case the utmost attention. An integral part of her services is to work closely with her clients and to help them protect their intellectual property.
Prior to joining Parlatore Law Group, Dr. Kota founded Kota Law PLLC, where she practiced intellectual property and business law. And previously, she worked as a patent agent at Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP in Washington DC, and as an associate at Paul Hasting LLP in New York and at an intellectual property litigation boutique in Dallas.
She is affiliated with the following organizations: the Dallas Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association, the Texas State Bar Association, Sigma Xi, the South Asian Bar Association, and the US-India Chamber of Commerce, DFW.
She is licensed to practice in New York, Texas and the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Hyderabad, Ph.D., Life Sciences; M.Phil., Life Sciences; M.Sc., Life Sciences
- Andhra University, B.Sc. (with distinction), Biology and Chemistry
Distinctions and Honors
- Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal
- First Year Best Brief Award in Law School
- Best Paper of the Year Award for The Plant Cell Paper
- Research Fellowships from Government of India
- Noble Systems Corp. v. Acqueon Technologies, Inc. et al. (Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division) Represented multiple defendants in multi-patent infringement action involving call and contact center technologies and telephony systems.
- Gensetix, Inc. et al. v. Baylor College of Medicine et. al. (Southern District of Texas)
Represented Gensetix in patent infringement lawsuit.
- Cephalon, Inc. v. Nang Kuang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and CANDA NK-1, LLC (Eastern District of New York) Represented Nang Kuang Pharmaceutical and CANDA NK-1 in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to chronic lymphocytic leukemia and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma drug Treanda®.
- Laboratoire HRA Pharma v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (District of Delaware)
Represented HRA in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to an emergency contraceptive drug ella®.
- Andrulis Pharmaceuticals Corp. v. Celgene Corp. (District of Delaware)
Represented Andrulis in patent litigation related to the use of thalidomide in combination with an alkylating agent to treat certain cancers.
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. v. Sandoz Inc. et al. (District of New Jersey)
Represented Merck in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to an anti-nausea drug Emend IV®.
- Helsinn Healthcare SA et al. v. Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. et al. (District of New Jersey)
Represented Helsinn in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to an anti-nausea drug Aloxi®.
- Gevo Inc. v. Betamax Advanced Biofuels LLC et al. (District of Delaware)
Represented Gevo in biotechnology litigation related to recombinant isobutanol Biofuel.
- Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. v. Actavis Mid Atlantic Inc. (District of Delaware)
Represented Medicis in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to Zyclara®, used for acne treatment.
- Eisai and Novartis v. Lupin et al. (District of Delaware)
Represented Eisai in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to an anti-seizure drug Banzel®.
- Daiichi Sankyo Inc. et al. v. Impax Laboratories Inc. et al. (District of Delaware)
Represented Daiichi Sankyo in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to Welchol®, used for the treatment of type-2 diabetes and high cholesterol.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. and Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. and Watson Laboratories Inc. (District of Delaware)
Represented Takeda in Hatch-Waxman litigation related to an anti-insomnia drug Rozerem®.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. and Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. v. Amgen Inc. (Eastern District of Pennsylvania)
Represented Amgen in patent infringement lawsuit related to Sensipar®, used for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism.
- Eli Lilly & Co. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals. Inc. (Southern District of Indiana)
Represented Eli Lilly in patent infringement lawsuit related to an osteoporosis drug Evista®.
Inter Partes Review:
- Neptune Generics LLC et. al. v. Eli Lilly (IPR2016-00237; IPR2016-00240) Represented Neptune Generics in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent No. 7,772,209 related to a lung cancer drug Alimta®.
- Coalition for Affordable Drugs VI, LLC (CFAD) v. Celgene Corporation (IPR2015-01092; IPR2015-01096; IPR2015-01102; IPR2015-01103)Represented CFAD in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent Nos. 6,045,501 and 6,315,720 related to cancer drugs Thalomid®, Revlimid®, and Pomalyst®.
- Coalition for Affordable Drugs (ADROCA), LLC v. Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. (IPR2015-00720; IPR2015-00817; IPR2015-01850; IPR2015-01853; IPR2015-01857; IPR2015-01858) Represented ADROCA in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent Nos. 8,440,703, 8,007,826, 8,663,865, and 8,354,437 related to multiple sclerosis drug Ampyra®.
- nXn Partners, LLC v. Nissan Chemical Industries, Ltd. (IPR2016-00694) Represented nXn Partners in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent No. 8,796,464 related to flea treatment drug Bravecto®.
- Coalition for Affordable Drugs II (CFAD) LLC v. Cosmo Tech. Ltd. (IPR2015-00988) Represented CFAD in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent No. 6,773,720 related to colitis drug Lialda®.
- Rosellini Scientific, LLC v. Grunenthal GmbH (IPR2016-00471) Represented Rosellini Scientific in an inter partes review of U.S. Patent No. 7,994,364 related to pain drug Nucynta®.